Orthotics for Knee Pain Relief
Many patients will suffer from some kind of knee pain during their lives. Sometimes this is minor and will fade away quickly after a small injury or overworking yourself for a day. Other times it is persistent and does not seem to go away. When you avoid knee pain and do nothing about it, you may end up with more problems down the road.
Knee pain can be caused by a variety of different things such as a previous injury or even a medical condition like gout or arthritis. All of them can be painful and hard to manage and you will want to find a solution that provides some of the relief that you deserve as soon as possible.
One solution that you should consider before going all the way to invasive knee surgery is to get a pair of custom orthotics. These can provide relief by changing the way that you walk to be more aligned with the body and it can protect the knee if an injury is to blame.
Let’s take a closer look at knee pain and see how custom orthotics can provide the relief you need.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
The location of your knee pain and how severe the condition is can vary and will often depend on the cause of the problem in the first place. Some of the signs that you are dealing with this knee pain will include:
- Inability to straighten out the knee well.
- A crunching or popping noise in the knee
- Weakness or some instability in the knee
- The knee is warm to the touch and red
- There is a good deal of stiffness and swelling
Often these signs will go down a bit when you rest the knee and use some ice to help. But there are times when the situation is critical and you may need to seek out professional help to keep you safe. Some of the signs that it is time to seek out help from a professional include:
- You have pain in the knee due to an injury
- You have a fever that goes along with the swelling, pain, and redness in the knee.
- You can see an obvious deformity in the knee or leg
- You are not able to flex or extend the knee fully
- There is marked swelling in the knee
- You find it hard to bear weight on the knee
While knee pain is different for everyone, it is a good idea for you to take it seriously and get some of the medical attention that you need as early as possible. This will help you to heal the knee and prevent further issues that can add more pain and suffering on top of what you already have.
What Can Cause Knee Pain in the Absence of Custom Orthotics?
There are several things that can cause a good deal of knee pain for you if you are not careful; one is injuries. Whether you have a torn meniscus, knee bursitis, fractures, or an ACL injury, this can cause a good deal of pain in your knee and will make it hard to walk around. A pair of custom orthotics can provide some relief while the injury heals.
You may also suffer from a mechanical problem in the body. This can happen when you have a loose body part, iliotibial band syndrome, a dislocated kneecap, or foot and hip pain. These often happen when something is wrong with the body and when you can get it back in line with some custom orthotics, the problem will get better.
There are several types of arthritis that the patient may have when they are dealing with knee pain. These are hard to reverse, but custom orthotics will provide some of the relief that you need. Some examples of arthritis that you may find in the knee include gout, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, pseudogout, and septic arthritis to name a few.
Knee Pain Without Custom Orthotics: Things That Could Go Wrong
There are a few risk factors that you need to be aware of when it comes to your knee pain as well. These are things that can make it more likely that you are going to deal with knee pain overall and you can make some changes to ensure that it does not ruin your life or make you live with the pain forever. Some of the risk factors for knee pain include:
- Being overweight: When you put on a few pounds, it is going to add more stress to the joints of the knees, no matter the activities that you decide to do during the day. This can wear out the knees faster than before.
- Lack of strength or flexibility in the muscles: When you are lacking in strength and flexibility, it will increase your chances of having an injury, even to the knee. Strong muscles will help you to stabilize and can protect the joints as well, giving you more range of motion than before.
- Certain occupations and sports: There are some sports that tend to put more stress on the knees compared to others. Repetitive motion can be hard on the knees as well. Taking precautions and wearing orthotics can really help avoid some of these problems.
- Previous injuries. If you have suffered from an injury to the knee in the past, you may find that it is more likely you will have another injury in the future.
Keep in mind that not all knee pain is going to be considered serious. You may just need to get off your feet for a bit and rest the knee instead. But there are some medical injuries that result in knee pain, such as osteoarthritis, that can lead to pain, damage to the joint, and disability if you do not treat it.
This is why you need to take knee pain as seriously as possible. If you suspect that the knee pain is getting worse, then it is important to discuss it with your doctor to help keep you safe.
How Orthotics Can Help When Your Knee Hurts
There are several solutions that you can use to help you provide relief to the knee pain that you have, whether you are looking at knee pain that is just occasional or you are worried that it is going to be persistent and cause even more problems. One of the best treatments that you can consider without having to worry about surgery is custom orthotics.
Orthotics are a great choice because they are going to stabilize the feet and can help correct poor foot function if that is present in your walk. You can also use them to prevent any type of unnatural rotation in the lower leg, which could cause your knee pain in the first place.
Custom orthotics are often amazing at supporting your arches, forcing the leg and ankles back into the alignment that they need, and reducing the amount of twisting that will occur at the knee. When all of this comes together for the health of your body, it will make sure that you feel less pain around the knee joint as well as in the rest of the leg.
There are several ways that you can use a pair of custom orthotics to help keep your knees happy and avoid the pain and discomfort, and even potential injuries, that you would face if you went without a custom orthotic. When the orthotics are designed just for you, they will protect the knees all the time. Some of the ways orthotics can improve your knee pain include:
- They will change the distribution of force to be more even across the ankle and foot. This not only helps the foot but will ensure that there isn’t too much pressure put on the knee at the same time.
- They will provide some additional cushion, reducing the amount of force that goes through the ankle and the foot. When the foot and ankle have less force than normal, this means that there is a reduction in the amount of force that is pushed up through the knee, reducing how much pain you will feel over time.
- A good pair of custom orthotics will change the alignment of your foot, which will you up all the way to the knee and even higher. No matter the condition that is putting your body out of line, choosing custom orthotics to fix this issue will help keep you healthy and happy and can alleviate a lot of the pain that you feel.
When all of these components are able to come together in your custom orthotic, you will be able to get some of the pain relief that you desire. These can be designed to work with your feet and will help whether you have some alignment issues, problems from an injury, or another source that is causing knee pain in the first place.
When you pick out a pair of orthotics that are a good fit for your feet, they will provide some of the relief that you need from chronic knee pain. They provide additional support and cushion to the feet while making minor adjustments that will help you to maintain good posture and protect the knees. Customization will be imperative here when you get your custom orthotics.
Can Orthotics Cause Pain in the Knees?
When you get a pair of custom orthotics for your feet, you will find that this can be the solution that you need to keep your feet happy and prevent further damage and pain in the future. A good pair of orthotics that are designed specifically for you will be one of the best solutions to make your feet, and the rest of your body, happy.
As long as the orthotics are right for your feet and they are designed by a professional who will consider the structural needs of your feet, you will find that they can work well and will relieve some of the strain and stress put on your feet. However, they could potentially cause some issues to the foot if they are not fitted properly.
When a pair of custom orthotics is not fitted to the patient properly, they may end up causing more damage and leading to more pain in the knee than before. This is why you need to be careful about the orthotics that you choose and go with ones made by a professional.
Orthotics will often work to change the way the patient will hold themselves and move their body when they walk or stand, helping to alter the weight distribution and foot mechanics. Even if the change is just a little bit, if it is done incorrectly, it can cause some strain and stress that will make the pain worse than before.
To avoid this problem with your orthotics, make sure that you work with a podiatrist or another specialist who will be able to provide you with custom orthotics that work well for your feet. The right professional will take your feet into consideration and ensures that when you wear the orthotics, you will be able to get relief from your knee pain, rather than making it worse.
Choosing the Right Orthotics for Knee Pain Relief
There are many great pairs of orthotics that you can choose to help support the whole body. You should consider a comprehensive exam to make sure that you get a pair of orthotics that not only feel great but are able to solve the actual cause of pain in your knees rather than masking some of the symptoms. Take our free analysis here!
When you are dealing with pain in the knees, Urthotics can help you relieve that pain. We are able to answer your questions and make sure that you will get a custom orthotic that can support your knees and prevent further pain and injuries along the way. Give us a call or visit our website to see what we are able to offer!